300! November 11, 2009 was the date of the first post on this blog. I never anticipated doing it for this long, although as years have passed different jobs with different responsibilities have come my way and there has been less motivation to keep writing in a casual manner like this. 7 1/2 years ago the inspiration was to write a blog separate from the two I was responsible for at the time with my job. Today I teach classes and have been doing so for the past two years in a corporate environment so it is tougher to find the time. Plus my brain is usually fried at the end of the day and on the weekends I use some of that time to still update the Silver Platter.
I thought for Musings #300 I would step away from the current Brooke Shields theme. I love lists, always have, so for a number like this picking my favorite 300 songs seemed like a good choice. It is also a chance to showcase the fact I love MUSIC and not just one or two genres of music. Yes, dream pop, punk rock and eighties alternative are my three favorites but I love plenty of classical, classic rock, hip hop, metal, soul and blues as well. I am even starting to like a bit of country which I swore in my teens would never happen. Most of it still eats it though. 😉
Some Musings highlights before we get to the playlist:
- 10/12/2010 was the date of Is Elbow the best band in the world right now, the post that has been viewed the most. In total there are currently 14 posts specific to the band plus they have been included on many more.
- There have been three Musings interviews. I am very proud of these posts and eternally grateful to Bobby Lerma, Michael Cornelius and Tom Reardon of The Father Figures, and Brendan and Chris:
- Several posts regarding favorite songs, albums and concerts. 🙂
- Several posts from when I was DJing for Radio Phoenix. Man I miss doing that. The last time I was on the radio was The Bungalow Show on RadioPhoenix.org Halloween 2014. Thank you to Mr. Ken Baker for hanging out with me and taking some great pics!
- “Whining is the Offspring of Futility” – maybe my favorite post from May 24, 2012, definitely my favorite quote.
- Nice to look back on a few different themes: Tfronky Pick of the Week; Bands by the Alphabet; The Twelve Days of Christmas. The current Brooke Shields theme is my favorite.
Okay, let’s get to the music. This is a bad ass playlist.
You will notice one song highlighted. There was no way to rank these in order but I feel confident about one thing. “I Melt With You” from Modern English STILL reigns as king. The perfect pop song. Cheers!