Last night I had an opportunity for the second time to be a guest DJ on RadioPhoenix.org. The show I was on is named the Silver Platter Radio Show and airs on Thursday nights at 6pm, with an encore of the show played Saturday evenings at 8pm.
What a wonderful opportunity it has been to be on this show! The crazy thing is the chance came about simply as a result of my being one of the contributors on the SilverPlatter.info website. Let’s face it, updating the concert calendar for Hollywood Alley and the Compound Grill is not exactly what I would call work. This is pure fun for me, and an opportunity to help support the local music community.
Radio Phoenix is currently an internet radio station that serves the Valley of the Sun with entertaining and insightful programming. It is fully listener supported and non-commercial, so this organization does outstanding work for the local community. The programming is not just music-related, there are plenty of great news broadcasts as well. Check out the RadioPhoenix.org “About Us” page for more information.
The first show I was a guest DJ on was March 25 of this year. Having never done a radio show before I was nervous as heck, but was pleasantly surprised with the feedback I received afterward. The important thing is the experience was an absolute joy. The host DJ Henri does a great job and made me feel completely comfortable. He also hosts the Henri! on the Radio Show, Friday nights at 8pm. Check it out!
I get the easy part of the job! Seriously, I get to pick out songs from bands I like that have live concert dates scheduled in Phoenix and the surrounding areas. Not only do I get to play those songs, I have the opportunity to talk about those bands, talk about the shows and reminisce about past concert experiences. Amazing.
Here are copies of the playlists from March 25 and last night, May 21. A heads up; I am already scheduled to be back June 24! 🙂
March 25, 2010
- Echo and the Bunnymen – In Bluer Skies
- The Stranglers (Hugh Cornwell) – Always the Sun
- Wings (Paul McCartney) – Band on the Run
- Father Figures – Caviar
- Silversun Pickups – Lazy Eye
- Source Victoria – Until We Crack
- Bad Brains – I Against I
- A Place to Bury Strangers – It is Nothing
- Temper Trap – Science of Fear
- We Were Promised Jetpacks – Shorts Bursts (alternate version)
- Frightened Rabbit – Nothing Like You
- Twilight Sad – That Birthday Present
- Elbow – Grounds for Divorce (live)
May, 20, 2010
- Band of Horses – On My Way Back Home
- Jump Back Brothers – My Heart is Achin’ for You
- GBH – City Baby Attacked by Rats
- CAKE – Sheep Go to Heaven
- Cowboy Junkies – Sweet Jane (Velvet Underground cover)
- Face to Face – Questions Still Remain
- Cheap Trick – Tonight It’s You
- The Other 49 – Crooks and Cowards pt. 2
- Built to Spill – The Plan
Thanks for reading, and if you have listened to either or both shows, thanks for your support!