April 24, 2010. I love this date, although 21 years ago it was one of the darkest days of my life.
Folks, it may be rather obvious by now that music plays a HUGE role in my life. A good band, a good album, a good song all go a long way in inspiring me, improving my mood and keeping me focused. The significance of this date 21 years ago has motivated me to reflect on the past year, just the way it does every year. I love that. So I figured what the heck, why not pick my favorite 21 songs of the past 21 years? Without further adieu:
- Flaming Lips = Do You Realize?
- Band of Horses = The Funeral
- Elbow = Newborn
- House of Love = I Don’t Know Why I Love You
- Editors = Munich
- The Brother Kite = Hold Me Down
- Interpol = Not Even Jail
- Catherine Wheel = Black Metallic
- Swervedriver = Volcano Trash
- Juno = Venus on 9th St.
- Hey Mercedes = The Frowning of a Lifetime
- The Posies = Solar Sister
- Juno = Leave a Clean Camp and a Dead Fire
- Rogue Wave = Love’s Lost Guarantee
- Sebadoh = Got It
- Swervedriver = For Seeking Heat
- Elbow = Grace Under Pressure
- My Morning Jacket = It Beats 4 U
- Nada Surf = Always Love
- Kitchens of Distinction = Margaret’s Injection
- Fish Karma = God is a Groovy Guy
Yes folks, I even took the time to put these tracks in order. This was tough though, and I left out a lot of great songs. But that is what makes compiling lists fun!
Hopefully you will find a track or two you were not familiar with, that would be the true gem of this undertaking. And hopefully some of you may have your own list you would like to share. Most of all, enjoy.
Thanks Gary. Cheers!